Pages

February 12, 2015

Doing Something

Last month, I was invited to a luau. Normally, the thought of a luau makes me giddy because I'm always up for a party. This luau, however, was at DaySpring Villa in the Tulsa area. And I have to admit, I was a little bit leery.

You see, DaySpring Villa is a home for abused women and children, including those escaping from a life of human trafficking. Human Trafficking. It's a very heavy word, as is domestic abuse as is child abuse, as is the word escape.

I went to the luau, not really sure what I could do--the gravity of those situations seemed beyond my realm of abilities.

 And I'm so glad that I went.

DaySpring Villa was begun in 1980 under a different name. It was the first and only domestic violence shelter in the Tulsa area. In 1994, the name was changed and the facility moved. At that point in time, more than 7,000 women and children had sought shelter there. Since 1995, more than 6,700 women and children have been served by DaySpring Villa.

There are 86 butterflies on the outside of the cage.
In 2012, they were the first shelter certified by the Oklahoma Attorney General's office to address the needs of adult victims of sex trafficking. Since that time, 86 women with 30 children have managed to escape a life of sex trafficking through DaySpring Villa.

Let me just stop right here. I want to encourage you to go back and re-read the two previous paragraphs. Then re-read them again. And once more.

Those numbers are staggering and should leave you with a pit in your stomach that someone has felt so overcome with abuse that they had to leave their home and seek refuge with people who are--at the core of this--strangers.

DaySpring Villa is a faith-based organization who depends on monetary and material donations in order to serve those in need. The entire evening as I toured and visited and smiled and contemplated their service to the victims of Oklahoma, Matthew's verses in Chapter 25 echoed in my mind: 
 ‘Master, what are you talking about? When did we ever see you hungry and feed you, thirsty and give you a drink? And when did we ever see you sick or in prison and come to you?’ Then the King will say, ‘I’m telling the solemn truth: Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me—you did it to me.’ (The Message)

The people of DaySpring are in service constantly, literally, around the clock. And they would most
certainly appreciate your help.

First, and probably easiest: Subscribe to their newsletter. You can easily do this by texing JOINDSV to 22828. They will not bombard you with emails and their newsletters are so well done and very informational. 

Next, like them on Facebook. They often put out their needs via their Facebook page. 


I know enough of grants and funding to know that they need a wide reach. You can be part of their reach.

If you feel led to give monetarily, they make it easy as well--CLICK HERE to make a donation today. 

And, as always, you can volunteer your time, your materials, share your wealth, your expertise, you knowledge, you gifts, your talents, your services. If you find this to be something you feel led to be involved in, contact them. They can and will use you.

So, what can YOU do? 
What can you do today, tomorrow, next week, 
to  make someone's life better through DaySpring Villa?

Do it ... they'll thank you!





AddThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...